Thank you for your interest in joining our team. If you are not interested in our current vacant positions, please check back in the future, sign up for our enews, or consider volunteering your time to learn more about our projects and opportunities.
Administrative & Accounting Assistant
The Sacramento Valley Conservancy (SVC) was established in 1990—the first local land trust in Sacramento County, CA. SVC preserves open space for agricultural, scenic, recreational and habitat purposes. SVC has protected over 18,000 acres of land including regional trail systems, vernal pool preserves and oak woodlands. SVC is governed by a twelve-member Board of Trustees, and has six full-time staff, four part-time staff, more than 50 dedicated docents, hundreds of volunteers and various consultants.
The Conservancy’s Administrative & Accounting Assistant assists the Administrative Director, Executive Director and Marketing Director with duties, as needed, including payroll and human resources tasks, and assists the Administrative Director with keeping daily track of the organization’s finances and with producing financial reports for the Board of Trustees, staff and consultants, as necessary. The Administrative & Accounting Assistant also helps to maintain the donor database and assists with the Administrative Director and the Marketing Director on donor recognition. The Administrative and Accounting Assistant reports to the Administrative Director on a daily basis. All SVC positions ultimately report to the Executive Director.
I. Administration and Finance (60% of time)
- Provide financial and administrative support to Administrative Director, Executive Director and Marketing Director
- Pay bills
- Prepare deposits
- Prepare accounts for reconciliation by the accounting consultant
- Record donations in database program for various reports including fundraising status reports for Board and staff
- Develop financial reports for Board of Trustees, staff and consultants, on an as needed basis, including annual property financial reports related to endowment use
- Work with staff to ensure accurate and current financial reports
- Assist Administrative Director with reports/figures/items needed for the auditor on production of required annual Federal (990) and State (199 and RRF-1) forms
- Review and provide support for development of annual budget
- Handle employee timesheets, hiring paperwork, insurance and other miscellaneous human resource matters.
II. Fundraising (25% of time)
- All staff play a critical role in generating revenue
- Assist as needed in securing and tracking grant funding
- Actively participate in fundraising efforts, including cultivation of donors to promote and support SVC’s mission
- Assist with donor mailings
- Produce annual donor report
- Assist Executive Director with donor recognition
III. Public Outreach and Events (15% of time)
- Assist the Administrative and Marketing Directors with database maintenance for newsletter and other mailings as needed
- Assist staff with distribution or mailing of promotional materials
- Provide web site support and contribute to Social Media platforms
- Manage special event registration
- Assist, as needed, with staffing events and outings, will require working with the public in an outdoor setting
- Respond to inquiries from the public
- Other duties as assigned.
- Background in bookkeeping/accounting, administrative and human resource duties and customer service. Applicants with expertise or experience in a variety of these areas will be preferred, as will applicants with experience with nonprofits or land trusts.
- Strong communication (written and oral) and organizing skills.
- Associate’s degree in accounting, bookkeeping, or finance is preferred, but not required
- QuickBooks and Excel experience a must, database management a plus
- A self-starter with a proven track record of achievement
- Ability to work independently
- Outgoing and friendly personality with the ability to meet new people easily and quickly earn confidence
- A genuine interest and enthusiasm for private voluntary land conservation
- Should be able to lift 10 to 30 lbs
- Current CPR certificate (post-hire, if needed)
- Valid driver’s license
This is budgeted as a 50%-time position. Compensation range for this position is $16.00 – $20.00 per hour, based on experience and qualifications. Compensation is paid by actual hours worked during each pay period. Flexible hours and benefits package which includes 403(b) retirement account and match contribution (board approved, historically 3%) through Vanguard, personal time off accrual, sick time, and holiday pay.
Please submit resume and cover letter on or before June 12, 2021.
Contact: Kelly Hopkins, Executive Director
Copy to: Sue Spivey, Administrative Director
Sacramento Valley Conservancy
P.O. Box 163351
Sacramento, CA 95816