- This event has passed.
Volunteer Service Day
April 8 @ 9:00 am - 1:00 pmFree
New and returning volunteers are welcome! Roll up your sleeves and make some new friends as we give Camp Pollock a little love. Monthly Saturday service days are great for new volunteers, students needing community service hours, or simply a rewarding way to start your weekend. Tasks vary depending on property needs, and may including planting, weed eradication, construction, cleaning, painting, digging, fence building, mopping, window washing, outreach, native plant propagation/maintenance, and more.
THINGS TO KNOW BEFORE YOU REGISTER:
- All participants must sign a release of liability waiver. A legal guardian must sign a waiver for a youth participant.
- Pre-registration is required. Registration closes at 6pm on Friday. Registrants will be notified by email if the event is canceled or modified.
BEFORE YOU ATTEND:
- Review the information on your confirmation email. Check the weather forecast and plan accordingly. Layered clothing is recommended. You should also wear sturdy closed-toed shoes and a hat. A comfortable well-fitting mask is highly recommended to help prevent breathing in dust and plant debris.
- Bring your own work gloves, mask, hand sanitizer, cell phone, water and snacks.
- If you have any flu-like symptoms or physical injuries, please stay home and join us another time.
- Print and fill out this Liability Waiver and bring it with you.
WHEN YOU CHECK IN:
- Have your completed Liability Waiver Form ready.
- If you need a staff member to sign off on volunteer hours, let us know during checkin.
SVC has a lease to manage Camp Pollock until 2048… there will be plenty of opportunities in the future if you are unable to attend this event.
Extreme weather or rain will often cancel volunteer projects. Registrants will be contacted by email if logistics change.
SVC’s policy for cancelling due to heat and AQI is as follows:
Heat Index Policy is to cancel any outdoor activity that takes place during “Danger” or “Extreme Danger” conditions. Heat index table: https://www.weather.gov/ama/heatindex
Air Quality Policy is to cancel any outdoor activity when the Air Quality Index (AQI) for PM2.5 particulate is 151 or greater, or when conditions are considered “unhealthy” on the AQI index. Anyone in the “unhealthy or sensitive groups” category should use the 101-150 AQI value as the indicator to limit outdoor activities. The PSI index value says conditions at or above 138 AQI should be heeded as a health advisory, avoid outdoor work.
Anyone concerned about the heat or AQI is advised to postpone outdoor activities and opt to join us when conditions improve.
For questions about the docent program, or to join our crew, please contact Carly at email@example.com or 916-612-3719. Questions about specific projects and on site logistics should be directed to Tim firstname.lastname@example.org