- This event has passed.
Camp Pollock Docent Orientation (Virtual)
March 27, 2021 @ 10:00 am - 11:00 amFree
Our projects and events would not happen without fantastic volunteer support. Let us help you find a way to invest your time in nature on the beautiful lower American River Parkway.
Join an amazing group of trained volunteers to help with docent-led activities and service projects at Camp Pollock. No experience is necessary, just a desire to learn about the historic property, help maintain this special place, and to share your knowledge with the public. Sacramento Valley Conservancy is looking for volunteers who want to commit their time and energy to a variety of projects around the 11-acre property, including:
- Native Garden Maintenance: Weeding, leaf blowing, pruning, raking, general clean up in and around garden beds
- Propagation Team in the Native Nursery: Sanitize pots, re-pot starts to 1 gallon containers, water plants
- Event Crew: Clean up for events like weddings, lodge/deck/courtyard rentals and group camping
- Service Day Leadership: Help coordinate, train and manage volunteers during the regularly scheduled Saturday service days throughout the year
- Maintenance Projects: Clean, repair and maintain as needed the campsite & fire pit, walkways & paths, irrigation systems, building exteriors, mowers and tools. Clear the lawn of debris for mowing, weed whip, mow, and work with larger equipment.
Most opportunities take place on Saturday mornings with some Native Nursery projects occurring during the week. All activities will comply with public health orders for safety and social distancing.
Topics covered during the orientation will introduce you to the history of Camp Pollock, the native plants and invasive species that live there as well as a discussion on riparian habitat and heritage orchards. A follow-up, onsite training will be hosted at Camp Pollock later this Spring (TBD) in order to give you hands-on experience as you learn about this hidden gem along the American River.
This training will be held virtually via Google Meet. Please RSVP below by 6pm the evening prior to receive the video link.
Contact Carly Amatisto, SVC Program Coordinator at 916-612-3719 or email her at firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.