- This event has passed.
REI Women’s Backcountry Navigation
March 8 @ 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
Women’s Backcountry Map and Compass Navigation.
During this field outing, REI Outdoor School instructors will help you understand the information provided on your map, the proper use of your compass, and how to put the two together. You’ll learn about magnetic north, true north, and magnetic variation (declination). After covering these fundamentals, you’ll get time to practice taking a bearing from the terrain and your map so that you can make sense of your position and plan a route. This hands on, women’s focused course is a great introduction to outdoor navigation and map reading!
- Read a topographic map
- Understand the difference between true north and magnetic north
- Learn to calculate declination
- Use a compass to take a bearing, plot your position on a map, and develop a route plan
- Build confidence in your navigational skills
Information, fees, and registration on REI’s website: https://www.rei.com/events/79797/womens-backcountry-navigation-with-a-map-compass/269181
- March 8
- 10:00 am - 2:00 pm
- Event Tags:
- class, education, navigation, women